Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Introduction to Multiculturalism


Many international people have moved to America for different reasons. Even though they have been rooted for several generations in America, these minorities keep their own cultures. The diverse cultures are making America a multicultural country.
Early social scientists expected that America would be a “Melting pot”: all immigrant cultures would be mixed with American traditional culture and then new style American culture would be created. However, America could not be a “Melting pot”. These diverse immigrant cultures exist individually in America.
I am interested in the cultures of the world. I have traveled to several countries and worked international culture festivals with about 350 peoples from other countries as an international culture coordinator in Korea. I have recognized that each country has different manners, their way of life, thought, and so on, even though some countries share their cultures in past time. The cultures from the same nation are also very different and depend on people’s socioeconomic position, education, religion, or region of the country.
Fortunately, I have met more diverse international people and their cultures in America. I can enjoy their food, ethnic styles, and their thoughts. The more I know other cultures, the more enjoyable and attractive they are.
The blog that I create will help me inform others about biases by commenting on stereotypes. I can share my knowledge and experiences by posting my thoughts online with people who are hungry for information about multiculturalism.

1 comment:

Julie P.Q. said...

This is a really strong opening: we get to the "why" behind your topic choice. Very interesting, indeed!

My family came from many cultures: Italian, Hungarian, Irish, French, and Polish (we think). However, because for the most part I'm 3rd generation, I don't carry much of the other traditions with me, and I only remember bits of my Italian and Irish-heavy families. I wonder why it is, then, that some cultures quicky assimilate (not saying that's a good or a bad thing) and others stay very independent? I think there are many factors: political, cultural, language, religious, etc. I cannot wait to learn more about your views on this intriguing subject!